Unfortunately, due to weather conditions and the loss of power in many parts of our city (including Vesper), we will be cancelling the in-person sprinkling of ashes at Vesper for Ash Wednesday. Our prayers are with those who continue to be without power and water. Lord have mercy.
As you observe Ash Wednesday in your homes, we offer a video reflection of prayers, scripture and reflection questions being read. You can also download the self-guided reflection if you prefer.
As we approach the season of Lent this year, we acknowledge that all of us are carrying a lot of heaviness and some form of loss in the challenging year we have collectively been enduring. On Ash Wednesday, Feb 17th, we will be offering a self-guided reflection and a safe and socially-distanced opportunity to receive ashes (through sprinkling) at Vesper outdoors throughout the day.
For those of you who are unable to stop by Vesper, we will be offering an online reflection that you can participate in at home and impose ashes in the safety of your own home.
We invite you to stop by Vesper anytime between 10am-7pm.
- Please RSVP here. Registration includes indicating which time slot you plan to attend and signing a COVID health certification and waiver.
- you can download and go through the self-guided reflection
When you arrive….
- A table will be set up outside Vesper with spots marked on the ground for socially distanced waiting in line
- A host will be wearing a mask and gloves and all attendees will be required to wear a mask
- There will be no talking or touching as ashes will be sprinkled on your head
- You can also bring a written prayer, poem or reflection on what you are bringing with you into this season of lent and leave it at the table (we will take photos and send them out to the community to share what we are collectively offering and reflecting on)
- As difficult as it might be, we are discouraging mingling and inviting people to arrive and depart in silent reflection
[Photo by Ralph (Ravi) Kayden]